Sunday, July 1, 2012

Catching up: Last few days in Moz

So we got home and life started again! Hence, we are behind in blogging. But I'll try to catch up. 

Our last few days in Mozambique we went around to the same villages. But instead of teaching the health promotors, we had the health promotors teach us! They did a little bit of role playing and each took a page to pretend to teach. 

Just as a recap, there are 5-10 health promotors in each village. They are each in charge of about 20 families. We were teaching the health promotors and they will in turn teach the material from the book to each of their families over the next few months. At the end of the training we gave the promotors enough books to distribute to the families when they go to teach them.

Before we left, we wanted to make sure they felt comfortable with the material and teaching it to others. The last week was really rewarding because we got to listen to what they have learned. 


Hanging out with some pretty girls before our meeting

So many of the diseases we teach about can be prevented by simply drinking clean water. Motel Bispo's well was right outside our meeting so I slipped out to take this picture. 


Then I noticed the "Kids Club" meeting going on across the way. CFL has volunteer kids club teachers in the village who teach a class called "Stay Alive" to the 10-14 year-olds. It was fun to see how many kids come and hear the volunteer teach.


The health promotors of Motel Bispo holding up their own copies of the health book! They had just finished their last training and are ready to teach their families!


Our health "team": Dr. English, Ana Micas, and us. Dr. English is a dermatologist from Arizona and has been to Mozambique many times. He came up with the material for the new health booklet. Ana Micas is our very own Mozambican nurse! She is amazing. She would translate the lessons from Portuguese to Senna and add in funny examples or stories. The people loved her and we love her! 


Making baskets with kids club



I miss this. Every time we drove in or out of a village, the kids would run after us yelling "Muzungu!!", which means white people! It might seem rude at first but they yell it only because they are so excited to see us and want to let everyone know we're there. The only scary part is that they also like to run along side and hang on the back of our van... I was so scared someone was going to get hurt one day but luckily no one did.



Another member of our health team, Veronica. She was so sweet to us. At the end of our trip, she gave me a capalana (fabric used for a skirt) printed with hands on it. She said it was the symbol of nurses in Mozambique and that I was now one of them.

Our favorite Brazilian!! Joao created the CFL program and has lived in Mozambique off and on for the last six years. Justin and Joao were roomies and buddies on the trip. Luckily, when Joao isn't in Mozambique, he lives in Utah so we'll be seeing more of him!



On our last day, we walked to Villa Mesane with Ana Micas to review the book with our last group. It was our first time walking to a village because we usually had Dr. English or Joao to drive us. I was so glad we had that day though because it was fun to just walk through the whole village. We walked through their market and bought fruit from the people selling in front of their homes. The people here are so friendly. Anyone that was outside near the road would wave and smile at us. 



My nurse friend Ana Micas


 While walking in one of the villages, I made a cute friend. He wouldn't say a single word to me, but he wouldn't let go of my hand. Also, he was the cutest little boy. Justin was sneaky and got these pictures.


While the rest of the team was teaching the kids club, I entertained the little ones. We did everything I could think of-- from the hokey pokey to head, shoulders, knees, and toes. We even did the macarena. Finally I asked the kids if they knew any songs of their own. One little girl started singing and they all joined in. I recognized it from our lessons with the health promotors. I'm not sure what it means (it's in Senna) but the only word I knew was "diarrhea". The girls started dancing in a circle and we sang about diarrhea for no less than 15 minutes, the same tune over and over. Justin heard us singing the song and was totally laughing.


My little friend


My "diarrhea" singing kids and a few more at Ngupa. 

5 comments:

Mark and Debbie Holt said...

I love reading about all your African adventures!! It looks like you had a fabulous time (except for when you lost your luggage!) What an amazing trip!

Ashley said...

I love your life.

Right as I typed that, Whitney Houston came up on my iTunes. Missing you like crazy, best friend.

Jeanette said...

I'm sure it was hard to leave your 'little friend'. I just fell in love with the little faces and could totally see singing about diahrrea for 15 minutes! Awesome updates ~ I'm just waiting for Karen to do the same. (She's such a slacker, as you well know :D )

TR said...

I love reading about your adventures and your work. I love you!

kels said...

love it! haha diarrhea singing kids. priceless.