Sunday, July 22, 2012

1st anniversary

After our fun in Moz and the safari at Gorongoza, we made a stop in Johannesburg on the way home to celebrate our first anniversary

Months before, we had looked up Jo'burg hotels on Tripadvisor and found this cute little hotel called The Residence. Everyone gave it great reviews. We had no idea where to stay so we trusted the reviews and booked it. 

We made a great choice! It was beautiful and just what I needed after Mozambique. :) It was so much nicer than we were expecting. Also, there was only one other couple staying there that night so they were really sweet to us. 


We forgot to tell them about the whole we-don't-drink-alcohol thing. So nice of them to bring it though! 

Pretty patio off of our room... too bad it was winter in Jo'burg


Beautiful bathroom-- so nice to feel clean again!

Woohoo a yummy drink sans alcohol

This was the cutest dinner. There was only one other couple staying there that night (they only have five rooms) so they set us up a little table by the fireplace. 

Bruschetta. Mmmm.




Breakfast on the patio in the morning. It was freezing out there but worth it. 




I know it was our first so I don't have much to compare it to, but it was such a fun anniversary. A year ago I never would have thought we'd be celebrating in Jo'burg. We even watched our wedding video on our plane from Nigeria to Houston. One of the flight attendants asked us if we were on our honeymoon because the flight was empty and we were just about the only two people sitting next to each other. :)



Isn't this cute? I can't believe it's been a year. Watching our wedding video made me so grateful for the beautiful day we had and for everyone that was part of it. I'm so lucky to be married to Justin. The past year has been busy with us both working and going to school, volunteering together, J's MCAT, Moz, and Ecuador. But it has been so nice to have him by my side. I love the little sweet things he'll do like make me a lunch before he leaves in the morning or stop by to see me at work. After all the years of dating, it feels good to know I'll get to spend my whole life and forever with my bff!

3 comments:

Mark and Debbie Holt said...

Ahhhhhhh!!!! This is seriously so cute!!! What an incredibly fun and exotic place to celebrate your anniversary:)!! Kind of crazy to think that we celebrated our 30th in Africa too!! You two are an amazing couple and we love you both so much!!!

Chelsea said...

Aw Allie congrats! That place looks incredible!

Jenner said...

congratulations on your first anniversary!
what an incredible summer you have both had! i loved reading all about your adventures.