Sunday, April 15, 2012

Breaking the budget

For the last few months I have been agonizing over a few different decisions for this summer. Basically, Justin and I both had some amazing opportunities to travel but the die-hard cheapskate side of me wasn't sure how it would fit into our budget... If I'm clipping coupons for 20 cents off of a can of beans how can I justify traveling across the world?! 


Well, I finally decided to live a little :) and later we both found out we got some amazing grants and scholarships. We feel super blessed-- first, to get to travel and second, to have a good part of it paid for.


Good news is the blog should get much more exciting! I'm always better at blogging when I'm abroad. So here are the details... 


1) I am going to Ecuador with the BYU undergraduate nursing students as a "mentor" of sorts. :) It is the same study abroad I went on as an undergraduate so I'm super excited. I just need to practice my español because I'm a little really rusty. I'll be supervising the students in the maternity hospital, Sotomayor (aka the "Baby Factory", which I wrote about here and here), and the NICU area of the pediatric hospital. 








2) Justin and I are going to Mozambique with a non-profit called Care for Life. Justin will be there for a month and I'll join him for the last two weeks. We are SO excited. We will be working with their health director teaching a new health and hygiene booklet they have made. I'll post more about them later, but they are an awesome organization.
We will be working in some villages near Beira (kinda in the middle of the coastline).

Here's a little video about Care for Life. We are so excited to work with them.


4 comments:

Katie said...

Holy moly! Go allie. I'm so happy it all worked out.

Mary L. said...

Sounds great! I'm not sure where Justin is in his med school journey, but I just saw this http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/education/edlife/pre-meds-new-priorities-heart-and-soul-and-social-science.html?_r=1
and thought of him.
BTW, Eric is just finishing his third year of med school! Gotta love our guys :)

Allie said...

Thanks so much for that article! Luckily Justin is taking the MCAT this summer so he won't take the new one but it sounds pretty interesting. I had totally forgot Eric was in medical school. I hope he is doing really well! It was so fun to hear from you! :)

Sonya and Tyler said...

Ahhh, I miss good ol' Ecuador! I'm so happy you guys get to have some awesome adventures this summer and got some dinero to go!