Saturday, June 9, 2012

Day 13-14 - Subida, Ngupa, & Rio Savane

What a day today! Our Saturdays are pretty open here so we normally try to plan something fun to do after working hard all week. This weekend we took a trip to Rio Savane, a local beach. The weather and water were perfect and it was so nice to just relax and soak up the sun a little bit. It was also my first time swimming in the Indian Ocean. Definitely my favorite so far... The temperature was perfect! There were a ton of crabs on the beach which kept us entertained for a long time :)

I had an interesting experience yesterday afternoon while working in Ngupa with one the HELP team on a project. For one the projects that afternoon, the HELP team was using the pages from an old Oprah magazine to make paper beads with some of the kids. One of the boys from the village snagged the magazine and started flipping through it. It didn't take him long to find some ads with some not-so-dressed models on it. Without fail, each time he came to one of those ads he would turn to me and ask for an explanation as to why they were dressed that way or why they looked that way. I scraped every ounce of logic I could, and came up with nothing. Why does our advertising industry have women dress and look like that? A very good question...

Allie gets here tomorrow! Just heard from her and she is on her way from Germany to Jo'burg, South Africa. Can't wait!
Me pretending that I'm walking down the beach with Allie. Tomorrow!


Some pics:

It was the kid on the right that was asking about the magazine ads.

I couldn't help but to snap a pic of the visual irony here with the magazine title (Travel Leisure)

Half a chicken, coconut rice, salad, fries, and grape Fanta (made with real cane sugar) = so good.
 We had a fun time trying some "jumping pictures." Even with our DSLR shooting 5 fps, we still had some difficulty getting a pic with everyone in the air at the same time. I'll photoshop something together later :)






LOVE the African sunsets. Nothing compares to them. 

1 comment:

Drake said...

I love the captions, especially Travel Leisure. :) Check me out at drakespensieve.blogspot.com