Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day 21-22 - Ngupa & Manga

Saturday we started the day with a community service project. The leaders of a village picked out a family we could build a latrine for. The father of the family was physically disabled and very excited to have us come help him. The family and many neighbors gathered to help us and watch the progress. As always, a ton of kids came over to play with us too. :)





An incredibly smart kid from the village, Fernando, we have renamed the Justin Bieber of Mozambique. He is a total performer. He taught a couple of us girls his dance moves. Not gonna lie, he told me I was doing muito bien! I was proud of myself. Justin got some action shots below...






Later Justin got busy working with the concrete. We made a lid for the latrine complete with Fernando's handprint! He loved it.



And after the dance lesson, I of course kept busy playing with the kids. Mario below didn't give me the memo we were doing a war pose. 

Baby ewok getting some water
 


And another beautiful baby girl

Sunday we got to go to church in Manga (near where we are staying). Sacrament meeting was awesome. Right before, the missionaries asked if any of us can play the piano. I was so sad I hadn't stuck with my piano lessons longer! I can only play two hymns and even those are a little interesting. Luckily, Ann from our group plays and was able to accompany us. Two guys spoke that are probably 19-20 years old. They gave awesome talks (from what I could pick up and what Justin translated for me!). Then, Greg from our group gave the last talk. He served a mission in Mozambique a few years ago. He gave a sweet talk on the importance of obedience and faith. Hearing him speak reminded me of when my dad was asked to speak in church when we went to Samoa. I love seeing the tender feelings returned missionaries have for the people they taught. So cute. 

During Sunday school and Relief Society I was basically trying to pick up what I could from the Portuguese, Justin would confirm it, and then I would try to contribute but they usually had already moved on. :) It was fun though to hear their thoughts and lessons. The girls wore our capalanas like true Mozambicans. We took a group picture but it wasn't on our camera-- I'll try to get it from someone tonight. For now, here's one of me and cute Justin!



No comments: