Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day 23-24 - Home Base, Grande Hotel, & O Farol

Hi everyone! It's hard to believe that we only have a few days left here in Mozambique... It feels like I just got here and it's already been almost a month. It's so satisfying to look back and see all the work that we have done and to feel like the people are at a point where they can go forward on their own. As I worked here, I have realized more and more that the best job I can do is to make myself obsolete, to make myself not needed. When I first got here I didn't think that could be a reality, but now as we are finishing up our field work, I am blown away by the potential of the Mozambicans that I have worked with for the last four weeks. We have all of our time teaching leaders, and now they are ready to lead. They know the materials. They are USING the materials. One example: At our meeting with the Care for Life supervisors, coordinators, and field workers, one of the field workers explained how this last week, a village member got very sick with dysentery (something that is more often fatal than not). Immediately, the village health promoter (the village member in charge of health) used the information she learned last week in the training to make up a rehydration solution and to care for the village member until they could get to the hospital. The person made it to the hospital in good shape, received the meds available, and improved immediately. That's how things are supposed to be with dysentery! People are not supposed to die from this disease. Once again, it has shown me that the biggest problem here is a lack of knowledge, not of resources. Once the people are empowered with knowledge, the health situation in the villages improves. 

Lots of people were asking about seeing a copy of the book. Here is a PDF of it. Sorry, it's the print format. I'll see if I can fix it up to make it more viewer-friendly.


One of the fun things we get to do in our spare time is visit local orphanages. This really has nothing to do with CFL--the purpose of CFL is to not need orphanages--but it's always a great experience to play with the little kids that are in so much need of love. I wish I had pics to show, but unfortunately they don't want pics of the little kids all over the internet, so they are pretty tight about taking pictures. One of my fav parts at the orphanage is playing the "Dança" ('Dance') game with the little kids. Basically, we all sit in a circle while one of the kids takes the lead of getting the clapping and singing going. Meanwhile, 2-5 kids go in the middle and dance while we sing. It's amazing to see how well some of these toddlers can shake it! I've decided that I'm going to play this with my kids so that by the time they get to high school dances, they will be awesome on the dance floor. The lyrics are:

Eu danço
Dança!
Eu danço
Dança!
Querem me ver?
Dança!
Eu hei dançar
Dança!
Eu danço bem
Dança!
Assim, assim
Dança! 
Ai ai ai
Dança!
Dança
Dança!
Dança
Dança!

Translated:
I dance
Dance!
I dance
Dance!
Wanna see me?
Dance!
I'm gonna dance
Dance!
I dance so well
Dance!
Like this, like this
Dance!
Ai ai ai
Dance!
Dance
Dance!
Dance
Dance!

Some pics:

Monday we had our last meeting with all of the CFL officials. We "tested" them on all of the things we taught over the last two weeks by playing a game with them. It got pretty heated because the prize was an awesome meal that Dr. English prepared. Obviously, everyone ended up eating it, but it was fun to see how much they had learned :)
Dr. English and I teaching the last few things to the CFL group.

In the heat of the game. Love this pic.
Another highlight of the last few days was that we finally found Allie's bag. I emphasize "we" because the local airline office here literally had no idea what was going on... They didn't even know that the bag had been located because we eventually just completely circumvented them and worked with the home office. So happy!


One of the city "landmarks" is this hotel pictured below. In the early 1970's was the nicest resort hotel in all of Africa. As soon as the war broke out though, all of the owners left and it became a shanty town. Today, thousands of people live there. It was so humbling to see a tangible and vivid example of the effects of war. 

After visiting the hotel, we headed to see the lighthouse--another one of the landmarks here in Beira. It was so fun to see the beach during the sunset. 






Awesome sunset!


Allie touching the Indian Ocean!

I'm going to miss this place so much! 

3 comments:

Mark and Debbie Holt said...

Gorgeous photos!! Miss you guys!! Can't wait to hang out with you in a couple of weeks!!

Jeanette said...

Hey, Justin and Allie! I'm Karen Nielsen's mom. She quoted a quote you had used, Justin, so it linked to your blog. I just wanted to let you know that I just LOVED the pictures of the people. The joy is evident on the faces of the class and I could feel of their spirit. It brought tears to my eyes. I hope one day I can go back to Africa and help in the way you both have. Thank you.

Jana Ostler said...

Loved the perspective of success being when you are "obsolete" - and loved the photos!