Sunday, May 6, 2012

Postparto y el templo




On Wednesday we were invited to do a presentation to the maternity nurses. They had a big day of education-- we sat and watched a doctor explain complications of prematurity and a respiratory therapist discussed using ventilators on newborns. I was really impressed with the education they were given. I probably would have learned a ton... if my Spanish was good enough to understand their discussion. :)

I presented with three of my students. The craziest part was that I had sent my students downstairs to teach the mothers because we weren't sure when the presentation was going to start. All of a sudden the previous presentater ended and the nurse in charge told me it was my turn! 

I started on my own and hoped that my students would magically return to finish the presentation. Luckily they did! I was sweating bullets and trying to delay starting the powerpoint. About three slides in, all of my students walked in the back door to save the day. 

We showed the nurses some things they could teach the postpartum women. We taught them about changes in the woman's body after pregnancy, getting back on birth control, breast feeding, the "baby blues", hygiene for an infant, how to care for the umbilical cord, and preventing SIDS. 

The presentation was hilarious because we would start talking and then the nurses would yell out and help us with our Spanish pronunciation. We were learning too. :) 


Erika 


Tad 


Nicole 


This is the nurse who asked us to present. She coordinates all the education for the nurses and helps us get into our clinical spots. It's so fun to meet sweet nurses like her in Ecuador! Also, check out the classic nursing hat they wear-- so cute but I'm glad we don't have to wear them in the states.


After the crazy day, we got to go to the temple! Here's me and my roomie Casey before we went in. It was my first time going to the temple in Spanish. I think I understood most of it.... :)

I didn't take this but isn't it pretty? Photo cred LDS.org

No comments: